THE ORGANIZATION: Comunidades Organizando el Poder y la Acción Latina (COPAL) is a social action organization with a mission of uniting Minnesota’s Latinx community in active grassroots communal democracy that builds racial, gender, social and economic justice across community lines. www.copalmn.org
POSITION SUMMARY: The Career Developer Coordinator, as a member of the COPAL’s team will join the effort toward building Latinx power in the state of Minnesota. The COPAL Career Developer Coordinator will work with the Career Placement Coordinator by fostering relationships with business and industry throughout Minnesota.. As a leader in workforce development, the Career Developer Coordinator will engage in job placement and develop a pipeline for Latinos to obtain better employment.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES — Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Generate employment opportunities and establishing productive employer partnerships and determine the number of open positions
- Maintain partnerships with employers
- Market career planning to potential employers and events
- Participate in and organize job fairs
- Develop a presence in business and industries
- Maintain a database of potential employers in various industries
- Work with other organizations in determining job opportunities
- Work with other staff to plan and execute cross-organizational events, grassroots fundraising and new member cultivation, communications plans, digital outreach plans, training, and other issue campaign actions
- Other duties or tasks may be assigned on an as-needed basis.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- At least 4 years experience relevant experience
- Experience assessing and determining community needs
- Knowledge in labor market trends, best practices and employer needs
- Experience with grant and contract compliance
- Accountable and able to follow through. Proven track record of delivery and completion of tasks on time.
- Open to learn and master the official COPAL Database within the first quarter of employment.
- Experience initiating conversations with community members about their stories, hopes, fears, and challenges, and a willingness to be bold in conversations with strangers and volunteers.
- Experience facilitating meetings, training, and/or group gatherings that move people to action.
- Ability to pay attention to detail, be vigilant about tracking goal progress, and meet deadlines.
- Computer literacy and experience with MS Office Suite.
- Excellent communications, including written, oral.
- Leadership. Ability to take on leadership roles. Be a proactive member of the team. Participate in building a positive and healthy environment.
- A relational leader and good team player, able to work with a broad team of staff and grassroots leaders, work well with others in a coalition setting, and motivate diverse groups of people.
- Ability to practice showing up for co-workers with consistent follow-through and clear communication. Ask for questions and directions. Take notes on assigned tasks. Report back on tasks on a regular basis and ask for feedback.
- Strong work ethics. Ability to manage time effectively and efficiently. Ability to stay focused to complete tasks within a reasonable timeframe.
- A demonstrated commitment to economic, racial, and gender justice and commitment to progressive political change.
- Enthusiastically promote COPAL’s goals, embraces the Jemez principles for participatory democracy organizing and has a deep investment in our shared agenda for change.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including some evening and weekend hours
- Spanish and English language fluency required.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION:
A valid Minnesota State Driver’s License is required and access to a reliable vehicle.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
Work is performed in a standard office environment which requires occasionally lifting articles such as file boxes or heavier materials with help from others and/or lifting and carrying light objects frequently. A job in this category may require walking or standing to a significant degree or may involve sitting most of the time with long periods of computer work and heavy phone usage. Flexibility to work outside normal business hours that include evenings and weekends and work extended hours to accomplish requirements of the position.
- Salaried/40-hours per week, $45,000 yearly.
- Paid ten holidays plus PTO.
- Health, dental and vision care.
- 401k retirement plan & life insurance (benefits to be offered in April 2021 to all COPAL staff)
- Ongoing leadership development, including access to relevant trainings and conferences.
This position reports directly to the Centro de Trabajadores Director. The position is located in Minneapolis but may be required to travel in and outside the state.
COPAL is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, LGBTQIA+ individuals, and women.