MINNESOTA CONSISTENTLY RANKS AMONG THE TOP STATES FOR EDUCATION, BUT IS ALSO AMONG THE WORST IN TERMS OF RACIAL INEQUALITY, ROUTINELY FAILING STUDENTS OF COLOR. DUE TO AN UNMET RESOURCE NEED, LATINO STUDENTS ARE FALLING BEHIND.
COPAL is organizing with parents of students attending Minneapolis Public Schools to increase the graduation rate among Latinx students.
To order to achieve a goal of equality of access to educational opportunity, parents are working with COPAL on the following:
- Parents have begun running the Latino Parent Advisory Council (LPAC)
- Parents have begun working on 3-key issues for the school year 2019-2020:
- To better the communication between MPS and parents,
- To influence the bilingual department of MPS to support a vision centered on the needs and aspirations of students and families, and
- To open the Office of Latino Student Achievement.