Become a U.S. Citizen
For those who are eligible (see below), COPAL's Citizenship Classes are an opportunity to become prepared to take the test required to become a citizen of the United States. We will walk with you through the learning process, provide legal advice, and build relationships within the classroom. See the many benefits of U.S. citizenship below, including gaining the ability to vote, running for office, eradicating fear of deportation, and more. Classes are on Saturdays from 10am to 12:30pm for six weeks. Contact Rico for more information (612)840-2020 and click here to sign up.
As a U.S. citizen, you will be able to:
• Vote in national, state, and local elections. As a citizen, you will have a more powerful voice in your community.
• Run for public office and serve on juries.
• Sponsor family members to immigrate to the United States.
• Gain citizenship automatically for your children (under 18).
• Have a U.S. Passport. You can travel and live overseas without time restrictions or having to obtain a reentry permit.
• Lose your fear of deportation. Unlike people with green cards, a U.S. citizen can never be deported or denied entry to the United States.
• Apply for more employment opportunities. Many government and private jobs require U.S. citizenship.
• Access public benefits. Many government scholarships, loans, and grants are available only to U.S. citizens.
• Solidify your position in the United States. Citizens never have to renew their status or notify USCIS if they move.
In order to be eligible for U.S. citizenship, you must:
• Be at least 18 years old.
• Have been a legal permanent resident (have a green card) for five years. If you are married to a U.S. citizen, you only need to have been a permanent resident for three years.
• Have been physically present in the United States for 30 months during the past five years (18 months if married to a U.S. citizen). You may not have made any trips outside the U.S. longer than six months.
• Have a basic knowledge of English and U.S. History/Civics (age exemptions are available for those who qualify).
• Be a person of good moral character.
Senior Lead Organizer
C.O.P.A.L. Comunidades Organizando el Poder y la Acción Latina
firstname.lastname@example.org | (612) 840-2020